To be successful at sea we must keep things simple.
To be successful at sea we must keep things simple. – R.D. (PETE) CULLER
Shipyards are building bigger and bigger boats and equipment are getting more and more sophisticated and that’s great for comfortable cruising, but everything is becoming really expensive and complicated.
Although it’s nice to have electric pumps, hydraulic swimming platforms, push-button sail adjustment, electronics and cool gadgets, we must accept the fact that all these systems eventually stop working (usually at the worst possible moment). If you don’t have them on board, they won’t brake and you’ll be able to enjoy sailing, instead of fixing things. Nobody likes gadgets more than me, but I like simplicity on the boat better…. So, my philosophy is: KEEP IT SIMPLE!
It’s really difficult to rationalize a boat purchase, but when you spend all that money on something (and this is only the beginning), you just have to justify it to yourself somehow. For your own mental health and peace of mind.
Size, type, model, price, equipment, condition, location… all of that is irrelevant. You just have to fall in love with her! 🙂
It’s really difficult to rationalize a boat purchase, but when you spend all that money on something (and this is only the beginning), you just have to justify it to yourself somehow. For your own mental health and peace of mind… so my top 5 reasons why I bought a boat are…
5. Investment. Believe it or not, buying a boat is the best investment in the World. You are always gambling with your money whatever you do. Stock market, real-estate market crash, cars lose value fast, so the only money that is actually yours is the one you have already spent. I invested in something I love, so I’m thinking it’s a safe investment. Buying a boat is really the only smart thing you can do with your money 🙂
4. Lifestyle. Living on the boat, or at least spending a lot of time on the water is the best lifestyle I can imagine. A boat will not just take you to many beautiful places where otherwise you couldn’t have gone, but she will do it in style… Owning a boat is also very cool. You can invite friends or business partners, or even make new friends 🙂
3. Health. Spending time on the water is good for your health, both physical and mental. You can really relax and unwind while sailing on the boat far away from everything and everyone. It’s a healthy way of living. You can even exercise and drink beer at the same time 🙂
2. Fun. Sailing is the most fun you can ever have (besides sex, of course)… and you can even share the experience with your crew. You can really get in touch with nature, sea, waves and the wind. It gives you freedom not only to sail away, but also to have fun while doing it.
1. Love. Well, it’s really the best reason to do anything and everything, isn’t it? To be completely honest, I have to admit that the previous four reasons were just my attempt to justify myself, but the truth is that you simply have love boats and sailing. That’s all there is to it.
One final advice for people who are considering to buy a boat: Size, type, model, price, equipment, condition, location… all of that is irrelevant. You just have to fall in love with her! 🙂